- Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore
- Brunelleschi's Dome
- Opera del Duomo Museum
- Skip the line for both cathedral and dome
DescriptionEnjoy our exclusive guided visit to the Brunelleschi's Dome and the Santa Maria del Fiore cathedral.The history of the dome is ancient and peculiar.
It started in 1418, when a contest was announced for the ideal dome design, with a relevant prize of 200 gold florins and eternal fame for the winner. The leading architects of that age came to Florence and presented their ideas. Brunelleschi was the winner and Lorenzo Ghiberti was the co-superintendent.
The realisation was hard and with many obstacles. The project had been considered impossible by many engineers. On March 25 1436, for the Feast of the Annunciation, Pope Eugenius IV and a group of cardinals and bishops consecrated the finished Cathedral.
The second part of the tour will let you discover the buildings that form the religious complex of the city: the Baptistery, the Cathedral and the Opera del Duomo museum.
With our Certified Guide you will have the opportunity to admire, inside, the stunning Byzantine mosaics of the vault while, outside, the masterpiece by Lorenzo Ghiberti, the east door of the Baptistery, commonly called 'the Gate of Paradise'.
The guide will reveal to you the massive cathedral, the Duomo, S. Maria del Fiore. The final destination of the tour will take us to the museum of "Opera del Duomo" where you will admire up close works of high value from the artistic heritage of the religious complex; to be noted, along with others, "La Pietà" by Michelangelo.
- It is forbidden to enter in shorts or with uncovered shoulders;
- Not allowed: pets, smoking, luggages or large bags;Visitors will need to climb 463 steps;
- No elevators are available;
- The climb is not recommended for people suffering from heart problems, vertigo, or claustrophobia;
- The times of access to the monuments are subject to change due to extraordinary events and depend on the Opera del Duomo schedule;
- The climb is not suitable for pregnant women.
PLEASE NOTE THE TIMETABLE FOR THIS TOUR:
- 9,30am - Brunelleschi's Dome tour (meeting point: Porta della Mandorla, left side of the Duomo cathedral)
- 11,30am - Duomo Complex Tour (meeting point: Duomo Square, in front of the Bigallo Museum)
- Guided tour of the Duomo Complex for 2hrs and 30 minutes
- Guided tour of the Dome for 1h and 15 minutes
- Reserved tickets
- Skip the Line entrance for dome and cathedral
- Brunelleschi's Dome tour: Porta della Mandorla, left side of the Duomo cathedral
- Duomo Complex Tour: Duomo Square, in front of the Bigallo Museum